Thursday, December 10, 2009

New Plug-In Electric Vehicle Pilot Project in Vancouver


When I was driving in Vancouver at rush hour the other day, I noticed a new plug-in electric Mitsubishi concept vehicle called an i-MiEV driving around. I was curious so I researched it a little bit and I found out that earlier this year, the City of Vancouver and Mitsubishi Motors Sales of Canada signed what is called a 'memorandum of understanding (MoU)' to test a couple of new electric vehicles in and around the City of Vancouver.

Some of the concept vehicles are apparently being used by the City of Vancouver and some are being used by BC Hydro. As more vehicles are built, they are able to be added to the respective fleets to increase the pilot project.

I'm personally excited about this initiative, partially because when Ontario considered plug-in vehicles, they decided to offer free government-operated charging stations in metropolitan areas as an incentive to get people buying plug in vehicles. I hope for a similar project in British Columbia - specifically in Vancouver but hopefully in other cities around the province as well.

I will be eagerly awaiting more news about this initiative.

No comments:

Post a Comment